Burke’s Bully Pulpit: President Trump, please shut up

Recently, President Donald Trump has continued his assault against the deceased lawmaker and war hero Senator John McCain. How low does one person have to sink to continue to attack a man who isn’t alive? A man who did nothing immoral — McCain served the American people as best as he could — and he was pretty damn good at it.

I remember hearing Trump on the campaign trail claimed he liked soldiers who didn’t get captured in war. For anyone else, that statement alone would have been enough to completely fold a campaign. Trump’s base seemed to turn a blind eye to what he said. This set the precedent for what is happening now.

To argue with someone over policy ideas is one thing. To attack the character of a war hero is another. When Americans risk their lives overseas to protect our interests and our safety, they are not seen as Democrats or Republicans. They are Americans.

Trump seems to have a hard time separating the two, adding to the ever-growing list of ugly and deplorable things he has said in his life. How much more are we going to take before everyone in the government wholeheartedly condemns him for at least one thing?

I was wondering why Trump chose to attack a deceased man. Of course, in typical Trumpian, petty fashion, the reason was for something that occured over a year ago. McCain, after a lifetime of support for the Republican party, wanted to make sure the repeal of Obamacare was sound and not full of any glaring holes — so he shot down the bill.

“I will not vote for the bill as it is today. It’s a shell of a bill right now. We all know that,” McCain said on July 25, 2017. This is why the president, our elected leader of the free world, is attacking a war hero.

Let it go, man. Stop being such an eye and ear sore for Americans who have respect for this country. It’s embarrassing to know that you’re our leader. Sure, Trump might be accomplishing some of his goals, but the complete lack of human decency and normalcy has far outweighed the good thus far.

If you’re a supporter of Trump’s and think this is funny, you’re on the wrong side of history. He’s not just “telling it how it is” like many people like to say. He’s insulting a man who dedicated his entire life to making ours better. I’m certain that bone spurs wouldn’t have kept McCain out of Vietnam.

I was not old enough to vote in the 2008 election. However, seeing old clips of McCain defending former President Barack Obama from an insinuation that he was a foreign-born Muslim extremist is a model of how we should operate as citizens and humans.

Instead, we have a president who spent years claiming Obama was born in Kenya, stated he likes his war heroes not captured and demonstrated his belief that sexual assault is A-OK as long as you’re famous.

Rest in peace John McCain, I really hope that Trump stops saying your name soon. It’s disgusting to hear. While I didn’t always agree with what McCain voted for, he deserves much better than this from a president.

1. Thank you so very much for your comments. I take it you haven’t drank the kool-aid, as so many have. You will be stoned for your comments ( from so called followers of Trump). Please know you an I are are not the only ones who see President Trump for what he is. Again thank you for article. Respectfully yours.