Sports

Field Hockey goes 0-2 over weekend

The No. 22 Boston University field hockey team fell in two close contests over the weekend to No. 24 University of Maine and Columbia University. The Terriers fell to 3-3 on the season.

BU and Maine met on Friday in a matchup of top-25 teams in the country and it lived up to that hype. The Black Bears scored the game-winner in the second quarter off of the stick Brianna Ricker to make it a 2-1 game. Ricker also scored the other Maine goal which came just 2:42 into the start of the game.

“The Maine loss was frustrating,” said Terrier head coach Sally Starr. “We did make some defensive errors that we could not overcome.”

Freshman forward Ellie McIntyre scored the only BU goal of the day with just over a minute remaining in the first quarter. McIntrye’s season goal total rose to three.

The Terriers were back on the field less than 24 hours later on Saturday to take on Columbia. BU overcame deficits of 1-0 and 2-1 but could not hold onto a late lead of their own and Columbia won 4-3 in overtime.

With the game tied at two a piece, junior midfielder Maggie New put BU ahead 3-2 with 6:52 remaining in the game but Columbia responded with 54 seconds left and tied the game courtesy of Kelsey Farkas.

“The lesson in that game is to hold onto the lead late,” Starr said.

Columbia would score the game winning goal in overtime to secure a 4-3 lead in the goalfest. 

The Terriers will return home to take on Bucknell University (2-3) on Saturday at 1 p.m. at New Balance Field. It will be the first Patriot League game of the season against the Bison.

Starr is looking forward to the preparation for the upcoming matchup and said Bucknell is “always a worthy opponent.”