Lacrosse, Sports

Women’s lacrosse hosts Vanderbilt in non-conference play

Remy Nolan has seven points on the year and started four of BU's seven games. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO
Remy Nolan has seven points on the year and started four of BU’s seven games. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team will look to score back-to-back victories for the first time during the 2016 season when it hosts Vanderbilt University at Nickerson Field Tuesday night.

The Terriers (3-4, 2-0 Patriot League) are coming off a 17-7 domination of Bucknell University. Senior midfielder Jill Horka led the way for BU, scoring three goals, forcing four turnovers and winning three draw controls. All 26 Terriers saw playing time against the Bison (6-3, 0-1 Patriot League), and six of them scored at least two goals.

BU head coach Liz Robertshaw was particularly impressed with her team’s attitude leading up to the game.

“I think the team came in with a great attitude for the game,” Robertshaw said. “They were excited to play at home, excited for a conference game. They were really focused on coming out fast and aggressive. From the start of the game until the end, every player on the team was locked into the game plan and really did well.” 

Robertshaw hopes BU’s offensive leaders can replicate their form against Vanderbilt (4-4). Sophomore attack Mickenzie Larivee leads the Terriers with 17 goals on the season, while junior attack Taylor Hardison has a team-best 17 assists. Senior midfielder Ally Adams leads BU in total points with 19.

The battle for starting goalkeeper continues, as junior Caroline Meegan and sophomore Christine Laible have split the responsibilities so far this year. Meegan has a slide edge on the stat sheet, as she boasts a .512 save percentage compared to Laible’s .403.

With statistics like that in mind, Robertshaw confirmed Meegan will start Tuesday. It was not a simple decision, though, as the goalkeepers bring the best out of each other.

“The competition between the goaltenders has been fantastic for us,” Robertshaw said. “It’s really making both of them step up their game and bring their best to the table every practice. We’re seeing that from both Caroline and Christine, and we expect that to continue. If one of them doesn’t bring their best, someone else is going to take her spot.”

Meegan will have her hands full with the Commodores’ attack. Their major offensive threats are junior Kelly Chandler and senior Mallory Schonk. Chandler leads her team with 21 goals, while Schonk is not too far behind with 18.

Meanwhile, junior Jill Doherty has a team-leading 24 points. The Reading native poses a dual threat, as evidenced by her 12 goals and 12 assists on the year.

These three upperclassmen should give the Terriers’ defense all they can handle, but Robertshaw said her team is prepared against a Vanderbilt squad that bears many similarities to her own.

“They are a tough team very similar to ours in a lot of ways, in the games they’re playing and how they’re producing,” Robertshaw said. “We need to get the ball on our stick. So from Jill Horka on the draw control to all of our middies, we are really looking to have the ball more than they do. We just have to limit the amount of opportunities they have at cage.” 

The Commodores will also serve as BU’s penultimate non-conference opponent in 2016. Therefore, the Terriers will try and use Tuesday’s encounter as a chance to refine areas before the games bear increased importance.

“I think it’s been great to challenge ourselves,” Robertshaw said. “I think that it has helped us to bring a better game when it comes time for Patriot League. We’re going to continue to be challenged in the weeks upcoming. I didn’t want to have a schedule that was soft in the beginning. I thought it’d be better for us to see what we need to be better at and work on, and I think it has allowed us to become a better team.” 

Despite the looming slate of Patriot League games, Robertshaw insists her team is focusing on one game at a time.

“I think the team is excited and ready to go,” Robertshaw said. “They want this opportunity to play Vanderbilt at home, and I’m looking forward to it.”