Baker exhibits wavering support for Geoff Diehl in second gubernatorial debate

Republican Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker and his challenger Democrat Jay Gonzalez faced off in the second of three debates ahead of the Nov. 6 election. COURTESY OF MEREDITH NIERMAN/ POOL

Gov. Charlie Baker clashed with Democratic challenger Jay Gonzalez in their second gubernatorial debate at WGBH Studios Wednesday night over the issues of gentrification, state police scandals and Baker’s relationship with the Republican party.

After a brief discussion about the state of transportation in Massachusetts, the two dove into a heated conversation about the state police overtime payment scandal and Colonel Kerry Gilpin’s role in the investigation.

Several officers of Troop E, which monitored the Mass. Pike, were under investigation for logging overtime hours and being paid, despite actually missing the shifts. Gilpin attributed this as a mistake that went past the system, while critics, like Gonzalez, said it was the result of the system itself being corrupt.

Baker was quick to defend the colonel, saying he trusts she did not know about the issues and pointing out that she ordered an investigation into the department’s finances. Gonzalez, however, said he did not think this was enough. He said he thinks the colonel should be fired and that the state police department is too corrupt for an effective investigation.

“I have absolutely no confidence that you and your leadership team have a handle of what’s going on with the state police,” Gonzalez said to Baker during the debate.

Moderators Jim Braude and Margery Eagan, hosts on WGBH Boston Public Radio, asked Baker about how he has openly opposed President Donald Trump, yet continues to support Republican candidates who agree with and support the president.  

Baker cited party loyalty as his reason for this. He agreed to support all of the Republican candidates in the state and said he intends to do so regardless of individual candidate opinions.

“I said during primary season that I would support the ticket,” Baker said, “because a lot of people were concerned in the party that I would play favorites, and I chose not to.”

Gonzalez questioned Baker directly on his support for Republican Senate candidate Geoff Diehl, opponent to Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who has said he would have voted for new Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh and was the Massachusetts co-chairman for Trump’s 2016 campaign.  

Baker had previously endorsed Diehl, yet, when Gonzalez directly asked Baker during the debate if he was planning to vote for Diehl, Baker said he was still undecided.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do yet with respect to that one,” Baker said. “I’ll make my decision eventually. I’ll make sure people know.”

However, after the debate when asked by reporters again if he planned to support Diehl, Baker said he “misspoke” during the debate and did intend on voting for the Republican candidate.

When Gonzales was told by press after the debate that Baker had changed his response, he said he did not approve of Baker’s inconsistency.

“You know, he can’t have it both ways,” Gonzalez told reporters after the debate. “He can’t say he is for a woman’s right to choose, for LGBTQ rights, and then ask the people of Massachusetts to support Geoff Diehl and then waffle on whether or not he’s going to support Geoff Diehl. Where does he stand?”

During the debate, the candidates also spoke about gentrification in the state, specifically in regards to education and how both candidates would plan to tackle the issue. Baker said he plans to establish more of the academic programs that have been successful in the state and country.

“[We] need to start acceleration academies,” Baker said in the debate. “We need to help pay for those. It’s proven to be successful in places in Massachusetts and other parts around the country and use them as a device to help enhance kids who aren’t making it and aren’t getting it done.”

Baker also said he wants to focus his funds and energy on after-school engagement programs and professional development tracts for Massachusetts residents.

Gonzalez’s education goals, on the other hand, involve taxing the rich to obtain the $3 billion needed to fund his education and transportation plans. With this money, Gonzalez said he wants to establish affordable and accessible childcare for all citizens and improve the quality of public schools.

“The most fundamental responsibility we have collectively through the government,” Gonzalez said in the debate, “is to ensure that every single child has access to a great public education.”

Gonzalez went on to say that the governor has not done enough to further public education during his time in office, seeing as many school districts in the state were still underfunded.

Baker responded by saying that, while Gonzalez continues to promise major investments in different programs, he does not have an effective enough plan to raise and distribute the necessary money.

“The notion that he has put enough plans on the table to fund all the stuff he’s promising and committing to simply isn’t true,” Baker said.

Baker and Gonzalez will face off in a final debate, hosted by the consortium at WCVB studios, Nov. 1 at 7 p.m.

Hannah Schoenbaum contributed to the reporting of this story.