Lifestyle

A guide to your first house show

A house show is an extraordinary place where young people come together as a community to witness a common denominator — local indie bands playing their way into the spotlight — in an underground music scene prominent in many cities.

While I was getting ready for a house show in Boston, I was beyond nervous. I had no idea what to expect, what to wear, or if I was even “cool” enough to attend. As soon as I stepped into the house, a strong sense of community hit me, along with flashing lights and lively music. Suddenly all of my worries about fitting into the scene ceased, and I knew I had stumbled upon an exceptional group of people. 

Even though this was a spectacular experience, here is some advice that I wish I had received before I attended my first house show this weekend. 

The first piece of advice I offer as a non-seasoned attendee would be to dress as comfortably as possible. If the bands are as unbelievably good as they were when I witnessed the show, dancing is mandatory. The upbeat music drew me into a trance of extreme happiness, as everyone in the house expressed themselves through dancing to the beat of fantastic live music.

house show in allston
A house show in Allston. Payton writes about her first house show experience and shares some tips for those interested in attending them. PAYTON RENEGAR/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Furthermore, do not bring a purse or bag to hold your belongings. The spaces are small, making it difficult to have any extra items on your person. The lack of space becomes more apparent as the night progresses when people flood into the house anticipating the beginning of the bands’ sets. Alternatively, bring a phone wallet or lanyard to hold identification or anything you may need for the night, including money to donate to the bands as an entrance fee. This is how they get a commission for the night, which is imperative for indie bands starting in their career. 

You should also take as many pictures as humanly possible. Not only are the spaces aesthetically pleasing and great for posting on social media to prove how cool you are to your friends, but posting about the bands opens doors for exposure. Publicity helps local bands grow their fan base so they can continue doing what they love. 

The last piece of advice I can offer as someone who has only attended one house show is to be your most authentic self. House shows offer many opportunities to travel outside your college bubble, meeting people from vastly different backgrounds. Diversity thrives at house shows, allowing different cultures, religious backgrounds and personalities to mesh while thriving under one roof to the enchanting music of the live band.  

As I looked around the room of the house show that I attended, I witnessed the beauty of budding friendships as people from all over Boston bonded over the love for music. Although the talented bands drew people into the doors of the venue, the community found within the house walls was what enticed people to stay. Bands, mainly from the Berklee College of Music, played their hearts out, touching the makeshift community with powerful voices and effortless tunes on their instruments. The audience was enraptured in anticipation as each band circled through their sets and invited the next band to the stage.

I highly recommend attending a house show. The exposure to up-and-coming bands and community allows everyone to flourish in their uniqueness while bonding over a shared love for music. When someone enters the house to witness the exceptional talent offered, pressures of the outside world are left at the door, inviting a celebration for authenticity to take place. At a house show, the status of a person is irrelevant. Everyone is free to be themselves, united under a passion for supporting budding artists in the Boston area.