Lifestyle

Sunscreen to fit your lifestyle

Wearing sunscreen daily is the most practical form of self-care. Protecting your skin from UVA and UVB rays can help prevent premature aging and skin cancer, and applying sunscreen takes only minutes out of your day.

Makeup and skincare brands, recognizing the importance of daily sunscreen use, have recently released new sunscreen formulations — ranging from the typical cream to setting sprays and powder. The availability of a wide range of formulas makes choosing the right sunscreen for your skin and your lifestyle easier.

Cream sunscreen

You should be familiar with cream sunscreens since they can be found in most brands’ product lines. The main downside to cream formulas is that they can be prone to leave a white cast over the skin and can sometimes make your other products pill.

Lila Baltaxe | Graphic Artist

This kind of sunscreen is easy to layer under makeup but difficult to reapply afterward. You may have to switch to a setting spray or powder later in the day. Cream sunscreens are made in oil-free formulas, like the La Roche Posay Clear Skin Sunscreen, or hydrating formulas, like the CeraVe Hydrating Sheer Sunscreen.

Stick sunscreen

Stick sunscreen is similar to cream sunscreen. There’s not much to say about it except that it’s a fantastic option for beach days, hiking trips, or anything outdoorsy where you don’t want to put too much effort into the application. CeraVe has a mineral option, and Supergoop makes a Glow Stick that can make your skin look dewy.

Liquid sunscreen

This formula is a lot like cream sunscreen except that it’s so much better — in my opinion. It soaks quickly into the skin and generally doesn’t leave a white cast, making it perfect for every day.

Liquid formulas layer well under makeup but shouldn’t be layered over it (unless that’s your vibe). Consider having a second formula on hand if you’re a makeup-wearer. Different products have different consistencies, so feel free to find one you like. The Paula’s Choice Youth-Extending Daily Hydrating Fluid and the La Roche Posay Light Fluid Sunscreen are good options to start with.

Spray sunscreen

The two kinds of spray sunscreens, setting spray with UV protection and regular spray sunscreen, are ideal for reapplication. They may not be as effective protectors as other formulas because they require a proper application on the skin — not a quick spray.

Spray sunscreens are perfect for keeping in your bag to reapply when you’re out and about. The Supergoop (Re)setting Refreshing Mist and the La Roche Posay Spray Lotion Sunscreen are great picks.

Powder sunscreen

Powders are newer to the sunscreen market, but some brands have come out with good choices. The Colorscience Brush-On Shield is a tinted powder that has a very small shade range but claims to be SPF 50. The Supergoop Mineral Powder Sunscreen has a translucent option but also a small range of shades.

If powder sunscreens are proven effective and convenient, maybe brands will increase their offerings, but for now, the pickings are slim. 

The FDA recommends using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 15 or more daily and reapplying every two hours. This may seem like work, but if you can find a formula that works for you, applying sunscreen can be a moment of peace during an otherwise hectic day as a college student.