Lifestyle

Tips for navigating those FitRec jitters

Going to FitRec can be very daunting, especially if you are unfamiliar with the equipment and layout of the space. If the idea of going to the gym ties your stomach into a knot, then you have come to the right place. 

Gym anxiety — “gymtimidation” — affects more Americans than you expect. Nearly 90 percent of gym-goers are concerned with how they are perceived by others while at the gym, according to a 2022 study conducted by sports nutrition company Myprotein. 

Regardless of why attending the gym might give you angst, understanding a large percentage of FitRec attendees are in your shoes, too, may alleviate some of your nerves before you step foot in the gym.

Yvonne Tang | Senior Graphic Artist

I have gathered five pieces of advice below to help lessen those pre-gym jitters and remind you that you can have a wonderful experience at the gym.

Create a gym playlist to get you energized

Bringing headphones to the gym and turning up the music is a great way to hone in on your exercises and minimize distractions. A 2020 study on movement science and sports psychology explained that listening to music while working out may enhance your exercise performance and cardiovascular benefits. If you struggle with creating playlists, have no fear. There are thousands on streaming platforms like Apple Music and Spotify. Some are even curated to match your heart rate in beats per minute.

Prepare your workouts beforehand 

Considering gym anxiety stems from not knowing what to do with the equipment, what better way to conquer those fears than to plan your workout? Thousands of free programs are available online for curating beginner’s workout programs. YouTube videos are an excellent opportunity to learn the proper form for the free weights and machines before you use them at the gym.

Go during off-peak hours 

Let’s face it — the more people are at the gym, the more terrifying attending becomes and the more complex it becomes to navigate. You may consider exercising early in the morning or late at night to try dodging the crowds. FitRec is open Monday through Thursday from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on weekends from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Schedule permitting, try experimenting with different gym times to gauge the crowd levels and see what makes you feel most comfortable.

Bring a buddy

Someone you know may also get sweaty palms at the thought of going to the gym. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shared that by working out with a friend, you can feel more motivated, adventurous and consistent during your exercises. Whether it be a roommate, classmate or coworker — bringing a buddy to the gym is a great way to support one another and alleviate any additional stress from flying solo.

Be patient with yourself 

Feeling comfortable at the gym will take time, and that’s completely normal. Even the most avid gym-goers have off days. Try not to be too hard on yourself if the experience feels vulnerable and frightening. Showing up at the gym is a feat in itself. You deserve a big pat on the back for that alone.

Don’t forget those benefits waiting for you at the end of the finish line. According to the Bronson Health healthcare system, exercising contributes to an improved mood, less stress, and increased energy.

Grab your headphones, put on your favorite playlist, call your exercise buddy and get ready to tackle those gym jitters. You can do this!

1. Such great tips! Glad I’m not alone on this subject!