UMW Philharmonic Orchestra drops CFA professor from concert lineup

The University of Mary Washington Philharmonic Orchestra cancels the scheduled performance of horn soloist Erik Ruske, a professor at the School of Music in the College of Fine Arts, who was accused of sexually harassing two students. PHOTO BY HALEY ABRAM/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston University College of Fine Arts professor Eric Ruske was pulled from a concert lineup at the University of Mary Washington Philharmonic Orchestra, according to UMW spokesperson Hilary Kanter.

Ruske was scheduled to play Richard Strauss’ Horn Concerto No. 1 in UMW’s Philharmonic Orchestra’s season finale on Friday. However, earlier this week, the orchestra decided the piece will be played without him, Kanter said.

Ruske is embroiled in a lawsuit brought by CFA senior Erin Shyr and former CFA student Maria Currie for several charges related to sexual harassment. A federal judge denied a request from defendants, Ruske and BU, to drop five of the 10 allegations listed against them, The Daily Free Press reported in March.

Kanter said she could not confirm whether or not the controversy surrounding the lawsuit led the orchestra to remove Ruske from their lineup.

“I made an adjustment to the notice about that event to remove him,” Kanter said. “He won’t be performing.”

Since the lawsuit was filed, some BU students have been taking action seeking Ruske’s ouster as a professor. Ruske is currently teaching in CFA, according to BU spokesperson Colin Riley.

Katharine Kolin, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, created a petition encouraging BU to terminate Ruske’s employment last June that has since garnered hundreds of supporters.

Kolin said she created the petition to ensure the lawsuit remains under public scrutiny.

“With many situations like the Ruske case, people abandon the cause and therefore the survivors either because they become out of touch … or because the justice system doesn’t process cases like these quickly enough to hold people’s attention,” Kolin wrote in an email.

The petition recently surpassed 500 online signatures, which Kolin said is a testament to the growing outrage against him.

Kolin said she thinks Ruske’s career should be over, along with his standing in his field.

“It goes without saying that once a person is revealed to have violated another individual sexually, their career should be over and standing in their field obliterated,” she added. “To knowingly have a predator in a position of power, especially in a place of higher education, is a shame and a disgrace.”

By canceling Ruske’s performance, Kolin said UMW showed character and a “passion for its students” in a way she has never seen from BU.

“Cancelling a performance with Ruske was a courageous act on the part of UMW,” Kolin wrote. “Many universities, Boston University included, maintain that they will do the right thing but never follow through. Knowing what the right thing to do is separate from having the bravery to do it. The first relies on instinct, and the second relies on character.”

Both Ruske and Riley declined to comment on the cancellation.

Allie Miller and Alana Levene contributed to the reporting of this article.

CORRECTION: In an earlier version of this article, it stated Eric Ruske was pulled from the UMW concert lineup because of the sexual harassment charges. This information has not been confirmed, and the updated version reflects this change. We regret this mistake.  

1. I do not condone sexual harassment but UMW seems to be saying Mr. Ruske is guilty until proven innocent. UMW should be ashamed for subverting the foundation of our justice system.

2. UMW is a private institution, same as the Wyoming Symphony (which ‘disinvited’ him last year). They can make a choice to disengage with him if they believe it is in the best interest of the institution. Given that the details of the case divulge a long history and reputation of Ruske abusing his position as an instructor (really, read the case: https://casetext.com/case/shyr-v-trs-of-bos-univ-eric-ruske) UMW and the Wyoming Symphony both made the right decision. I hope more victims find the courage to speak out against him and lend their voice to the plaintiffs. It is unfortunate that BU does not recognize his behavior for what it is: predatory, fishing for/grooming the vulnerable, abusive of power, narcissistic. It is further unfortunate that his own colleagues are assuredly fully aware of his reputation and illicit behavior and do not stand by the victims here.

3. UMW is a private institution, same as the Wyoming Symphony (which ‘disinvited’ him from playing with them last year). They can make a choice to disengage with him if it in the best interest of their institution. Given that the details of the case divulge a long history and reputation of Ruske abusing his position as an instructor (if you haven’t read the case, google it, read the casetext site, it’s pretty disgusting), UMW and the Wyoming Symphony both made the right decision. I hope more victims find the courage to step up and lend their voice to the plaintiffs’ case. It is unfortunate that BU does not, did not, has not, recognized his behavior for what it is: predatory, fishing for/grooming the vulnerable, abusive of power, narcissistic… it is further unfortunate that his colleagues are assuredly aware of his reputation and illicit behavior, yet turn a blind eye and do not stand with the victims.

4. I have great and immediate concern that Ruske will, next month, have access to 14-20 year old female students. Under the circumstances of the lawsuit, Ruske should be barred from participating in Tanglewood until the case is resolved. http://www.bu.edu/cfa/tanglewood/program/french-horn-workshop/

Here is an example of why: https://slippedisc.com/2016/04/orchestra-disengages-from-alleged-sex-pest-horn/

If you read the last comments on that article, it should be apparent just what a danger Ruske is to young women. He has made a lifelong pursuit of vulnerable underage girls.

“Funnily enough I went to see Ruske performing when I was 15 and an aspiring French horn player. After the performance I waited to get his autograph. He then followed me out of the auditorium and tried to persuade me to go out with him that night. When I told him I was only 15 he didn’t stop trying to persuade me. Just suggested I sneak out instead.”