BU students express concerns about Kavanaugh hearing

Alison Arnstein holds a sign at a speakout Thursday in support of Christine Blasey Ford. Ford testified in front of the United States Congress about her sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. SOPHIE PARK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In light of Thursday’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, in which Christine Blasey Ford testified that Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her, some Boston University students said they are worried about whether Ford’s testimony will have any effect and about how confirming Kavanaugh might affect the country.

Ford, a Stanford University School of Medicine research psychologist, was questioned by the Senate Judiciary Committee following her claims that Kavanaugh assaulted her, which detailed an incident that she said happened during her high school years at a party.

Thursday’s hearing was tough to watch for Gowtham Asokan, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, who said he disagreed with the decision to make it public. While it’s valuable for citizens to hear the testimony live, he said it is unfair to make Ford share her “vulnerable moment” with everybody.

“If she’s having to go through this much emotional trauma, I can’t even imagine what younger victims may be feeling,” Asokan said.

Despite the attention given to the hearing and Ford’s testimony, several BU students said they are concerned Ford’s testimony will not be fairly and thoroughly investigated.

The incident should be looked into impartially, said Joseph Guptill, a freshman in the College of Communication.

“It’s messy, like, politically,” Guptill said. “Cause they’re using the sexual assault, and they’re using the case entirely, as a political gain for both sides.”

Scott Donahue-Martens, a first-year doctoral student in the School of Theology, echoed these sentiments, saying he thinks Ford’s claims against Kavanaugh are crucial to investigate, but that they will not be fairly evaluated because politicians have turned it into a partisan issue.

“It’s essential to look at someone’s moral character who’s going to get a lifetime commitment to the Supreme Court, and so I think there’s a sense in which it’s necessary to take the time to really look into the accusations,” Donahue-Martens said, “and I’m not sure that that will happen because of all the politics surrounding it.”

Students also said they were concerned about the societal effects of Kavanaugh being considered for a seat on the Supreme Court despite Ford’s testimony.

COM freshman Jessica Huang said she thinks the accusations Ford made toward Kavanaugh have brought governmental issues to light, including those surrounding President Donald Trump and others supporting Kavanaugh “through something that shouldn’t be debatable or negotiable.”

“To me, it doesn’t feel right, and I feel like we should be working together to try to solve the issue,” Huang said, “or just try to abolish the fact that just because you’re in this position doesn’t mean you’re excused from your actions.”

Melinda Chiang, a junior in the Wheelock College of Education and Human Development said it’s important to listen to women speaking out about sexual assault because women are often silenced by men in power.

Ford’s claims against Kavanaugh should be investigated before the confirmation process continues, Chiang said.

“It’s kind of scary that he’s still considered for being elected and people are making excuses for what he did,” Chiang said, “instead of just really investigating and listening to the women before even considering electing him.”

Sydney Roof, a COM senior, said she is worried about how women in the United States will be affected if Kavanaugh is confirmed.

“If the allegations are true but he’s deemed innocent, then it’s like a joke,” Roof said. “I think it makes a lot of women just feel like everything is like a joke to them … Christine is really representing a lot of women right now.”

Clarissa Garza contributed reporting.