BU police union leader claims university underappreciates, marginalizes its police officers

Officers from the Boston University Police Department said they feel widely unappreciated by the university, especially in regard to their response to the false alarm incident at Mugar Memorial Library last month. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Following the “emergency situation” at Mugar Memorial Library on Nov. 18, a Boston University police union leader expressed disappointment toward the university, claiming the administration has a lack of appreciation for the Boston University Police Department.

Scott Rocheville, a BUPD officer and the president of the Boston University Police Patrolmen’s Association, first expressed his feelings regarding the department’s relationship with the university in a comment on The Daily Free Press’ article.

Rocheville wrote that President Robert Brown thanked “a Civilian administrator of BPD, Boston Police, Fire and EMS before acknowledging BUPD” in the president’s letter to the university, referencing the fact that BUPD was first to respond to the scene, but second to last on a list of Brown’s appreciation.

In his letter, Brown said the school is “very grateful to Boston Police Commissioner Evans and the Boston Police, Fire, and EMS Departments, the Boston University Police Department, and the Massachusetts State Police for the swift and coordinated response that ensured the safety of our community.”

The incident started when BUPD received a call from a man at 8:15 a.m., warning officers that he was holding hostages with guns and bombs in Mugar. Though it was later determined to be a hoax, BUPD officers responded within minutes, the Free Press reported.

Rocheville wrote in his comment that it is “discouraging and insulting to the men and women of BUPD who are the first to respond to dangerous situations … to be marginalized by the President of the University.”

Rocheville said later, during an interview with the Free Press, that he feels the letter highlights a feeling of underappreciation by the school.

“It’s been a number of things throughout the years,” Rocheville said. “President Brown walks past us while we’re standing in the street and doesn’t even acknowledge our presence. We had contract negotiations that started in 2015 because our contract expired; it took 14 months for us to reach an agreement with the university, and not through any fault of our own … It’s just the people in my organization would like the support from the people we work for. It’s just not there.”

BUPD is in the midst of ongoing labor disputes with the university regarding working conditions. In addition, they have a number of grievance and mediation cases pending, Rocheville said.

“These are things that don’t need to occur. If there was a harmonious relationship with our management, we wouldn’t be in this situation,” Rocheville said. “There are [BUPD officers] who wouldn’t be willing to speak because of fear of repercussions.”

Scott Paré, BUPD’s acting chief and the executive director of public safety, has a differing point of view. He said officers from BUPD feel appreciated, and the university fully supports their work.

“We have some of the best equipment, we get some of the best training and we’re compensated very well,” Paré said. “I think we get the full support from all of our administrators and our entire community, quite honestly.”

Paré said BUPD did a great job the day of the hoax incident, and he is sorry that “some of the officers feel that they don’t get the full recognition.”

“I can say that, personally, I was very proud of the actions of our officers that day,” he said. “I want to thank our partners for showing up to help back us up. This is something we practice and something we drill. It worked that day, and nobody got hurt. All the actions came into play, and everybody did the job that they were supposed to do, including our Boston University police officers.”

BU spokesperson Colin Riley said the administration recognizes BUPD as one of the best university police departments in the country.

“The men and women in the department are held in the highest regard by the administration,” he said.

The main beneficiaries of the BUPD’s service — BU students — said they have a great appreciation for the police officers.

Sabrina Hassan, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said although the university has room for improvement, BUPD’s efficiency is comforting.

“As a woman, I would want to know that [the BUPD is] ranked highly,” Hassan said.  “I feel like BU’s image, as far as how it reacts to sexual assault, isn’t the best, so maybe knowing that at least our police are presumably doing what they’re supposed to is reassuring.”

Rafael Amador, a senior in the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, said BUPD’s presence on campus provides him with a sense of safety.

“Fortunately for me, I’ve never felt in danger or in a dangerous situation,” Amador said. “I guess that that is due to the police at the university, the police work, knowing that I’ll be safe, and that I can contact them in whatever situation.”

Chenyang Li, a sophomore in CAS, said he admires BUPD and the work its officers do.

“I know because BU has a lot of property on Commonwealth Avenue, it has to be heavy duty for them,” Li said. “They not only have to focus on this particular area, but the whole of Commonwealth on the BU campus as well. So, I certainly respect the BUPD for what they do.”

Abigail Freeman contributed to the reporting of this article.

1. Even though the Police Sergeants at BUPD have been without a Contract for Over two years

2. Imagine literally being the school’s own police department and arriving first on scene and not even being named first in a letter…I definitely think BUPD does not get enough recognition or appreciation for what they do