About 25 students signed up to run in this year’s Student Union elections during an election information session held Monday night in the George Sherman Union’s Terrace Lounge.
As of last night, seven students had signed up to run for president of the Union, six signed up for vice president and two signed up for secretary. Information on how many students signed up for the Treasurer position could not be obtained, but SAO Director Carolyn Norris said no position will be uncontested.
Students elected for next year’s Executive Board will be the first to operate under the newly restructured Union format.
Norris also announced that the election timetable will be pushed back.
“It will most likely be pushed back just a little, which gives [the candidates] more time to campaign,” she said, adding that the new timetable will probably be announced within two days.
The total number of candidates may also change because the Student Activities Office must confirm all candidates before the list is finalized, according to Jeanette Jankiewicz, a member of the Student Union Elections Committee.
In comparison, three “slates,” ran for the Union’s Executive Board last year, each carrying five to seven candidates for various positions. This year, candidates may choose to run as a slate if they choose, but students will vote for candidates individually.
Because all of SUEC resigned after the Union and its election procedures were restructured last week, Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore filled the positions in time for the elections, Union officials announced during their weekly Senate meeting Monday night. John Macom has returned as SUEC’s chair – a position he held during the 2001-02 academic year.
The Union’s Public Relations Committee also announced that for the rest of the semester, it will focus entirely on getting word out about elections, a job usually reserved for SUEC.
“We’ve decided to look toward the future,” Sen. Nick Dillman (College of Communication) said during the Senate’s weekly meeting in the Photonics Center later. “We are going to try and get students out there and voting.”
But Macom said he is already pleased with turnout for this year’s election.
“I think it’s a good turnout, for such a short notice,” he said. “I’m happy so many applied for the president and vice president position. I wish more had applied for the [treasurer and secretary] positions.”
Rowan Armor, a presidential candidate and former Senate vice-chair, said, “There’s a few faces I’m surprised not to see here.”
Sen. Jon Marker (Warren Towers), a candidate for vice president, said he was “impressed” to see so many candidates. The current senator is running individually, although he was offered positions on three slates, according to a website for his campaign.
“Once the campaign starts and I hear each candidate’s stance, I may endorse other candidates, but I would first like to see what each individual has to offer to the team for each position,” a statement on his website reads.
Other candidates running for president include Sen. Deon Provost (Myles Standish Hall) and Vice President of Residence Life Mike Myers. Candidates for vice president also include Sen. Aaronthomas Green (South Campus). A full list of candidates will be available in the coming week.
Jankiewicz said the election meeting was mandatory for candidates and students who still wanted to run but missed the meeting would be dealt with on a “case-by-case basis.” However, the meeting was advertised on a board in the GSU Link, through fliers to constituencies and in emails from SAO and the Dean of Students Office to all undergraduates, according to Macom and Jankiewicz.
Candidates say they are excited to participate in the elections, especially with next year’s new format.
“I am excited to see how the new structure works and how the student body reacts,” Marker said.
But “the structure of the Union doesn’t matter so much as the approach candidates take to determine what is better for the school,” Armor said.
Candidates campaign over the next few weeks, with the beginning of online voting slated for April 12 at 7 a.m., although the schedule may alter slightly, according to the election’s website.
OTHER UNION NEWS
College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Lorrie Najam was sworn in as CAS’s new senator, replacing Jane Haviland, who recently resigned. Senate Chairman Joel Fajardo swore Najam in because the only existing member of the Tribunal, Tessa Pechenik, did not attend the Senate meeting due to illness.
The Academic Affairs Committee also announced that President ad interim Aram Chobanian will be attending the Deans Luncheon being held next week.
Green announced the success of the university’s multicultural weekend, partially sponsored by the Union’s Multicultural Affairs Committee, which hosted nearly 100 potential students and some of their parents this past weekend.
Marker, on behalf of the Residence Life Committee, announced that his group will present their findings on cable on campuses around the country to the Cable Committee, which will be meeting this Friday.