Democratic National Convention organizers have no plans to move the event from its planned site at the FleetCenter, despite Gov. Mitt Romney’s statement Tuesday that the new South Boston Convention Center would make a better location because of security concerns.
Romney said the FleetCenter is a poor location for the convention because state and local authorities will have to close North Station, the Central Artery and roads surrounding the center to secure the event. The new $600 million dollar South Boston Convention Center will open in June, just one month before the Democratic Party begins its convention on July 25.
“Why isn’t [the convention] being held at the convention center?” Romney asked. “The FleetCenter is at the hub of our transportation system and the convention will be a disruption.”
Romney said he is not planning to pressure the convention to move, but he suggested that organizers “keep an open mind” when considering where the event should be held.
“It’s the choice of the Democratic National Committee,” he said. “They have made their choice and we’re going to support them in the choice they’ve made.”
Romney is also not pressuring Boston Mayor Thomas Menino to change the event’s location. Menino is already overrun with DNC related issues, including finding funding for the convention and negotiating contracts with Boston police officers and other unions so that the convention is properly secured, Romney said.
Despite Romney’s request, convention organizers said they have considered their options and that the FleetCenter is where they want to have the event.
“One of the reasons we chose Boston was because of the FleetCenter,” said Boston 2004 spokeswoman Lina Garcia. “We will continue to move forward with our plans.”
Garcia said DNC organizers realize that there are security concerns that come with the FleetCenter’s downtown location and that every effort is being taken to secure the event.
“So far we have been working with Boston police and the Secret Service taking recommendations on security,” she said.
Romney said that if convention planners want to use the FleetCenter, he would accept that the disruption brought by the event is a sacrifice Bostonians will have to make for the democratic system.