Soccer, Sports

Dartmouth home opener ends in late 2-2 draw for men’s soccer

Junior midfielder Satchel Cornet has started in every game so far this season. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/ DFP FILE PHOTO

After the Boston University men’s soccer team allowed Dartmouth College to score its first two goals of the season, the Terriers (1-2-2) came back in the second half to force double overtime. The 20 minutes passed without a goal, leaving the end score at 2-2.

The tying goal came in the 87th minute and was recorded as an own goal against the Big Green (0-3-1.)

BU head coach Neil Roberts spoke of the two unanswered goals as a wake-up call.

“We felt good going into halftime, but then got that second goal right out of halftime,” Roberts said. “It wasn’t what we wanted, but I felt like that was when we really started to play.”

After a flurry of penalties in the first half, BU was given a free kick at 30 yards, but failed to convert.

Dartmouth took advantage of a loose ball in the 19th minute and converted it into its first goal of the season off the boot of sophomore forward Tiger Graham.

While the Terriers generated scoring opportunities in the first half, including an off-the-crossbar shot from senior midfielder T.J. Butzke, they were outshot 6-3 going into halftime.

Then, seven seconds into the second half, Big Green midfielder Amadu Kunateh crossed the ball in front of the net, allowing Graham to head in his second goal of the game.

Graham scored a total of two goals in his freshman season and now leads Dartmouth in points after a series of scoreless games for the Big Green.

It took until the 79th minute for BU to make it on the board.

Freshman midfielder Kari Petursson curved the ball off a free kick to front of the net, where junior forward Matt McDonnell won the battle in getting it past Dartmouth goalkeeper Christopher Palacios.

Immediately, McDonnell was subbed out by sophomore back George Abunaw due to what Roberts described as a minor injury.

“[McDonnell] has been playing spectacularly on the ball, with possession,” Roberts said. “Hopefully he’s recover quick and we’ll get him back soon.”

McDonnell currently leads the team with six goals and was recently recognized by the Patriot League, College Soccer News and TopDrawer Soccer’s National Team of the Week for his play.

After the goal, the Terriers maintained offensive pressure and recorded three shots on goal before an own goal from the Big Green in the 87th minute tied up the game.

BU ended the game leading in shots 18-14, but neither team was able to put up another goal before the clock ran out.

Sophomore forward Austin D’Anna knocked out a career-high five shots.

While Dartmouth has gone undefeated at home since October 2016, it also failed to pick up a win against the Terriers in their last seven matches.

The team’s road trip extends for another two road games against Ivy League opponents Princeton University and Harvard University.

When BU last faced Princeton on Nickerson Field, the game also ended in a 2-2 draw. The Tigers lead the series 2-0-2.

“We played well tonight,” Roberts said. “We had a few minute bumps and injuries this game, so we’ll see who’s ready Saturday … Our focus is on making sure we’re making opportunities, connecting on passes and being solid defensively.”

Comments are closed.