City, News, Politics

In debate, Markey, Lynch spar on security 1 week after bombing

U.S. senatorial candidates Ed Markey and Stephen Lynch squared off Monday in the final debate before the Democratic primary, addressing the security of Massachusetts and of the nation in wake of the terrorist attack that rocked the Boston Marathon.

Both Markey and Lynch said they agreed on the importance of homeland security, and claimed their voting records showed their support for the issue in the WBZ/Boston Globe debate, which was hosted by Jon Keller, a political analyst for WBZ, and Cynthia Needham, political editor at the Boston Globe.

“I would continue to do what I have been doing on homeland security issues,” Lynch said. He stressed the importance of the Joint Terrorism Task Force — the assembly of law enforcement agents tasked with finding the Marathon bombers — and accused Markey of voting against the creation of the JTTF.

Markey shot back, recounting his seven years on the Congressional Committee of Homeland Security, and said the only reason he would vote against security legislation was that it was not strong enough.

“I am the principal author of the legislation intended to make sure rail security remains in our country,” Markey said, alluding to a plot, apparently al-Qaeda-backed, to blow up a rail line between Canada and the U.S. The plot was uncovered by the Canadian government  Monday.

Surveillance cameras proved a key role in helping identify and track down the suspects in the marathon bombings, and Markey and Lynch agreed that increased video surveillance in Boston is now necessary.

Lynch said he has voted for measures to amplify the surveillance presence on Amtrak trains coming into South Station in Boston.

“Appropriately used, cameras can be helpful,” Lynch said.

Markey also said public surveillance was appropriate in the wake of the bombings, and that federal homeland security spending should pay for these measures.

Both candidates agreed that U.S. President Barack Obama’s decision to prosecute Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in a U.S court of law, not as an enemy combatant, was the right decision.

“I believe that president Obama and his Justice Department are completely committed in ensuring justice will be done in this case,” Markey said.

Lynch said the effort to classify Tsarnaev as an enemy combatant “might complicate the issue.”

Wednesday, a U.S. Senate bill aimed at expanding background checks for gun purchasers failed, and both Markey and Lynch said they supported this proposal among others to curb gun violence. Lynch said besides background checks, he supported the reinstatement of an assault weapons ban, the prohibition of high-capacity ammunition magazines and increased funding for behavioral issues.

Markey said he also supported the president’s proposal, and stressed the importance of keeping Americans safe.

“The only technology that should be near a child in a school is a computer, not a gun,” Markey said.

In a poll published on Sunday by Western New England University, Markey had a strong electoral advantage over Lynch — 44 percent to 34 percent.

Tim Vercellotti, political science professor and director of the polling institute at WNE, said although Markey holds a strong lead over Lynch in the primary, Lynch will likely attract significant attention among non-Democrat voters.

“Lynch is the stronger general election candidate because he attracts more ‘unenrolled’ voters and he gets around 25 percent of Republican votes and that gets him to have more of a lead in those match ups,” Vercellotti said.

In the WNE poll, both Markey and Lynch lead potential opponents Gabriel Gomez, Michael Sullivan and Dan Winslow in speculative matchups.

Tim Buckley, communications director of the Massachusetts Republican Party, said Lynch and Markey are both out of touch with Mass. citizens.

“No matter whom it comes down to in the Democratic primary, he is guaranteed to be a mediocre congressmen for Massachusetts,” Buckley said. “The Republican Party is very optimistic about this race.”

Vercellotti said the marathon bombings virtually halted any press to Lynch and Markey, as both candidates suspended their campaigns after the marathon.

“What we are seeing now is that it’s next to impossible to get free media because so much of the media is focused on the Boston marathon bombings,” he said. “Not a lot of attention is being paid right now to the election.”

1. Lynch Corruption UMassMed

Lynch is too tainted from his pillow talks in Israel with corrupt Albie Sherman of UMass Medical, the most violent medical center in the US.