EDIT: Music ownership

Major news organizations have rumored that actor Bruce Willis is suing Apple because of a policy that prohibits him from bequeathing his iTunes music collection to his four daughters. Nevertheless, the actor’s request raises important questions about music ownership.

iTunes users do not “buy music. Rather, they pay for the license to listen to songs via [their] iPhone, iPod or other Apple device,” according to an article in CNN,

Now Willis, who reportedly has a “vast” amount of music could always pass along his music-filled iPod, laptop or phone to his children. But what if the women want to transfer those songs to other gadgets? If it were the 11th device, 12th device, 13th device, Apple would say, “no.”

It is doubtful that everyone has read Apple’s terms and conditions in full, which makes this news so jarring. It is funny to think that our dollar is buying a lease and not the song.

Isn’t the turn of phrase, “I bought this song on iTunes?”

Willis’ story reinforces the idea that music ownership is a grey area. Even if the actor does not sue Apple, enough people are going to ask questions, which will prompt some ambitious lawyer to step on the scene and argue in favor of iTunes users.

1. You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.