Lifestyle, Movies & TV

Test your fears with these horror movies that deserve both screams and applause

Halloween waits eerily around the corner, and it’s the perfect time to test your fears. With endless options to choose from, horror movies are a perfect way to get into the spooky mood. But horror movies shouldn’t just be about making you scream — they should also be compelling and entertaining. 

Lila Baltaxe | Senior Graphic Artist

To help you decide your next scary watch, I’ve compiled a list of my personal favorite horror movies that deserve more attention. These movies not only had me hiding behind my friends, but also had me sitting on the edge of my seat.

“Scream” 

Directed by the king of slashers Wes Craven, “Scream” is a slightly satirical take on the typical slasher film.

The 1996 film follows a killer wearing a ghost mask who terrorizes a small town and causes clashes among the police, media and the public. However, the characters in the film are aware of the typical movie stereotypes.

Fun and entertaining, “Scream” is one of my favorite movies. It has a 90s nostalgia but still manages to feel timeless, even when Drew Barrymore is using a brick cell phone. 

“Scream” has some suspenseful sequences that leave you on the edge of your seat and many moments that make viewers wonder when and where Ghostface will strike next. However, it’s not the scariest movie on the shelf, which makes it a great choice for a chill night in with friends. 

“Saw”

If you plan on dressing up as the Jigsaw Killer this Halloween but you haven’t seen the Saw franchise, I heavily urge you to watch it. Upon first glance, I assumed the original “Saw,” released in 2004, would be one of those dumb horror movies that just use gore to scare the audience, but I was so wrong.

The first movie follows two men who are trapped and chained to opposite ends of a dirty bathroom with no recollection of how they got there. While they figure out how to escape, the police task force investigates a persona named Jigsaw. 

Without giving too much away, Jigsaw essentially kidnaps his victims and forces them to perform gruesome acts to escape his trap or else they die. As the movie progresses, the two plotlines begin to overlap and end in a heart-pounding conclusion.

“Saw” does use a lot of gore for most of its big scares, and some scenes are a little difficult to watch. However, the first movie does a pretty job of utilizing its police investigation plot to also build suspense and tension like a typical thriller. 

I recommend watching the first and second Saw movies, which both have really strong plots. If you can handle the gore, the franchise includes 10 movies in total. 

“The Autopsy of Jane Doe” 

This 2016 movie goes under a lot of people’s radar, especially considering its low budget. In fact, most of the movie is filmed at just one location — but don’t let its small production deceive you.

The story follows a father-and-son pair of coroners who are determining the cause of death of an unknown woman. However, as their inspection continues, the two find it harder to identify who this Jane Doe is and how she died. When strange things begin to happen in the morgue and Jane Doe seems to be behind it, the movie really takes a turn for the worst. 

The limited location helps the film build suspense through mystery as the viewer uncovers clues at the same time as the characters. That’s not to mention how terrifying Jane Doe looks as she is lying on the operation table. Fun fact: the actress who played the dead Jane Doe actually laid there for hours on end, and no prosthetics were used.

If you want a quick, easy-to-follow watch, I’d definitely recommend checking out “Autopsy of Jane Doe,” which is just under 90 minutes long.

“Raw”

Branching out from American horror, “Raw” is a French body-horror film that is really unlike any movie I’ve ever seen.

“Raw” follows a young vegetarian, Justine, starting her first semester at veterinary school, where her sister also attends. However, after Justine tries meat for the first time during a hazing ritual, she goes to extreme measures to satisfy her new craving.

Instead of relying on jumpscares, “Raw” utilizes grotesque sequences to make audiences squirm in your seats. This movie definitely takes a more artistic approach to horror, with a deeper message about family and growing up at the heart of all the gore. 

My only warning: Do not watch on a full stomach.

“X”

The first film to be released in Ti West’s horror franchise, “X” perfectly blends humor, fear and a little bit of fun to create this visually iconic film.

“X” follows a group of aspiring filmmakers as they film their latest adult film at an isolated farm  owned by an elderly couple. As filming continues, the crew rapidly depletes as they are attacked by something — or someone — on the property.

I love “X” because it is so memorable. The plot follows that of a more traditional slasher film, but the script and the visuals make the movie stand out — hence many girls sporting the bright blue eyeshadow and overall “X” look in past Halloweens. 

“X,” released in 2022, was the first in the trilogy, but the prequel, “Pearl,” came out soon after. Set decades prior in the same location, “Pearl” provides a bit more context to the events in “X.” 

A third movie, “MaXXXine,” that takes place after “X.” 

So if you and some friends are looking for a scary and iconic movie marathon, I dare you to watch the entire franchise.

This is not an exhaustive list of every great horror movie, but I hope it’s a great starting point and exposes you to new fears this Halloween. 

Always remember: Watch at your own risk.