Columnists, Football, Sports

Helmet-to-Helmet: In week 7, two wideout trades highlight the news

We have zoomed through a month and a half of football. 

Lila Baltaxe | Senior Graphic Artist

Teams like the Vikings and Commanders have pleasantly surprised their fanbases, while teams like the Jets and Jaguars have had a head-scratching start to their respective years.

The NFL trade deadline is still a little over two weeks away, but some general managers have already pulled the trigger on talent acquisition. Let’s talk about how the following two trades will impact those teams.

It would feel wrong to start this week’s discussion with anything but Davante Adams’ reunion with Aaron Rodgers. On Tuesday morning, NFL insider Ian Rapoport broke the news that the star receiver would once again join forces with his former Green Bay teammate. 

The two have developed a special bond off the field over the years, which directly translates to elite in-game chemistry. During his eight years with the Packers, the six-time Pro Bowler accumulated over 620 career receptions for over 7,500 yards and 73 touchdowns. 

Following this move, the New York Jets united Aaron Rodgers with arguably his most trusted weapon ever and yet another playmaker in an already dynamic offense. I believe his impact will be even more indirect than straightforward.

In my eyes, the main beneficiary of the situation is Garrett Wilson. With Adams on the opposite side now, teams simply can’t afford to focus solely on Wilson, who himself has potential to be the top receiver. Wilson should see a lot more single coverage, and given his crisp route running, Rodgers won’t shy away from looking for him as much as Adams. 

I expect to also see an improved run game from the Jets, who currently have the sixth lowest yards per carry with 3.9. If the defense lines up with more defensive backs to cover all these explosive receivers, much better running lanes will be created. Breece Hall proved to everyone last year that he has the talent to lead a backfield, and backup Braelon Allen has shown promise in his limited snaps. 

In theory, this trade can completely transform the Jets’ offense, but as they have taught us, expectations can differ far from reality. 

Now onto the Buffalo Bills, who dealt two 2025 draft picks to the Cleveland Browns for Amari Cooper. Despite going over 1,000 yards in both of his seasons with the Browns in 2022 and 2023, Cooper hasn’t been doing this well this season, with 250 receiving yards through six games. Now he gets a fresh start on a team that aspires to make another deep playoff run, and with a more competent quarterback, Josh Allen. 

The Bills have had a shaky offense through this first third of the year, piling up 47 points against the Jaguars yet only reaching 10 points against the Ravens. Allen ranks in the bottom ten in passing yards among QBs. However, he finds ways to spread the ball and do damage with his legs in an offense without a true top receiver.

Back in his Dallas days, Cooper served as a security blanket for Dak Prescott, and his reliability translates from team to team. I anticipate no less of a role for him in Buffalo, which should hopefully help relieve some pressure off rookie wideout Keon Coleman. 

However, I can’t envision Cooper eating up the target share the way Adams could. The Bills’ skill position players –– Shakir, Coleman, Knox, Samuel –– have too similar of a value for that to happen.

I think Allen will stick to what’s worked so far, but don’t let that detract from the value his newest teammate brings to the table.