Lifestyle, Music

Songs for new adventures and missing home | Liv Listens

Last week, one of my friends reached out to me about her nerves surrounding going abroad next semester. She’s excited and knows it is the right decision for her, but she’s also nervous about being away for so long. 

Lila Baltaxe | Senior Graphic Artist

I’ve been thinking a lot about studying abroad in the future, too. Leaving the country can evoke competing emotions — anticipation for a new adventure, but also a fear of the unknown. Not to mention, it can be scary leaving a lot of relationships back in Boston.

I get homesick easily, so I have songs about being away from home that I listen to when I want to feel seen, clear my mind or remind myself that this phase of my life is temporary. 

My go-to album for when I’m homesick is “Stick Season (Forever)” by Noah Kahan. His song “You’re Gonna Go Far” reminds me that I am where I’m meant to be. I like to think of this song as a message from my loved ones, telling me that even though I’m far from home, they will always be proud of me. Kahan sings, “The birds will still sing / Your folks will still fight / The boards will still creak / The leaves will still die / We ain’t angry at you, love / We’ll be waiting for you, love.” 

This song is a reflection of how I feel about my friend going abroad. Although I’m heartbroken that I won’t see her for months, I’ll be waiting for her when she returns. 

In “hope ur ok” by Olivia Rodrigo, she reminisces about two people she encountered in her childhood who went through tough times. Although she doesn’t speak to them anymore, she wishes them the best. 

I feel similarly about this song as I do “You’re Gonna Go Far,” but “hope ur ok” also helps me remember how temporary college is. It’s bittersweet to think about, but hearing lyrics like “Nothing’s forever / nothing is as good as it seems,” is helpful on the days when I wish I were anywhere else. 

When homesickness does creep in, “You’re On Your Own, Kid” by Taylor Swift is a good cry song with an uplifting ending. I listened to this song a lot the week I graduated from high school. I was counting down the seconds until I moved into college, but I was also scared of the new experience. I know I’ll feel similarly about studying abroad when the time comes, and I’ll probably turn to “You’re On Your Own Kid” again to cry out my nerves.

The song closes with Swift singing, “’Cause there were pages turned with the bridges burned / Everything you lose is a step you take / So, make the friendship bracelets, take the moment and taste it / You’ve got no reason to be afraid / You’re on your own, kid / Yeah, you can face this.” Being on your own in a new country is terrifying, but it’s also exciting. These lyrics capture both of those feelings at once. 

For songs to listen to while embarking on a new chapter, I recommend Lorde. From her album “Pure Heroine,” I recommend “A World Alone” and “Ribs.” Both tracks are great to accompany an evening exploration of a new city with new friends.

“A World Alone” is one of Lorde’s best works. There’s something so sweet and addicting about how Lorde sings, “You’re my best friend, and we’re dancing in a world alone.” In “Ribs,” Lorde perfectly captures the feeling of nostalgia before a moment is over. Sometimes, I’ve been looking forward to something for so long that I’m practically reminiscing about it at the moment — that’s how “Ribs” feels.

Her album “Melodrama” also has a few tracks I’d add to my travel playlist. “The Louvre” is my designated post-run song. I listen to it when I’m full of endorphins and feel like I’m on top of the world. Hearing Lorde sing “A rush at the beginning” with the phenomenal production of “Melodrama” in the background would make touching down in a new country feel euphoric. “Perfect Places” is another song on “Melodrama” that would be perfect for a night out in a new place. 

The Lumineers have a lot of songs with nostalgic vibes that would transfer well to studying abroad. I would recommend “Flowers in Your Hair” and “Sleep on the Floor.” I can see myself browsing shops in a new city with those songs coursing through my headphones.

I’ll be back with more music next week. Until then, don’t forget, I’m always here to listen.